Thursday, December 27, 2007

Field Trip to Arizona Mining and Mineral Museum



About a month ago, we started collecting rocks on our weekly nature walks. Yesterday, we sorted though the rocks and keep the most interesting ones. Those are the ones you see in the pics. During this project I realized that my family was really "rock and mineral" ignorant. I know absolutely nothing about rocks and stuff---nothing. So today we took a trip to the AZ Mining and Mineral Museum. There we saw some beautiful crystal formations, learned many ways minerals are used in our everyday life, and learned more about the different types of rocks. The children had fun. It was exciting when they saw a rock that looked like one in our collection. It was a good trip and we'll probably go back in a few months. Now I find a book to ID the rocks we have in our collection. No pics from the museum, I forgot my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment