Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I *Heart* Montessori

I posted a few weeks ago that I was exploring Maria Montessori's methods for teaching young children. I am happy to report that things are going very well. I've found a couple amazing books pertaining to the Montessori method; How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way and Montessori Basics. Both were wonderful, and I believe we've started on the right path. We've implemented many of the ideas with Hassana and some with Amir and Yasina. Even though they are older, I have found the practical life and sensorial activities can be used at any age if they have not mastered the particular skill yet. With Hassana, I've been focusing on language, movement, and sensorial skills. Of course, we've been reading alot. She has been earning prizes from library's summer reading program as well her big brother and sister. She's been watching Signing Time sign language videos and has signed "eat," drink," "more," "apple," and "fish" so far. I've been naming everything in sight to her, and I can see she is reallly making connections. The Basket of Teasures is a hit. I can't get Amir and Yasina out of it!

This is her favorite book right now. She loves these touch and feel animal books.
As you can see, she really does touch and feel.
I put a basket of sea shells in her area for her to explore. She loves them. Plus the shells are from Charleston, Daddy's hometown. Amir and Yasina collected these 2 years ago.
Hey Charleston Family, this one is for ya'll!


I even sensitized her fingertips. Go me, go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment